Corey Elkins – new kid on the block – pro hockey

Corey Elkins – new kid on the block – pro hockey
The following article appeared in the November 2009 Edition of the Macedonian Tribune

Bulletin: Oct. 18, 2009, Corey Elkins, playing center for the Manchester Monarchs of the American Hockey League, scored his FIRST goal as a pro.

The Los Angeles Kings of the National Hockey League signed as a free agent forward Corey Elkins, to a oneyear  entry level contract    meaning he's got to show good to stick after the first year. (MACEDONIAN TRIBUNE May, 2009)

For the record: I decided to call Corey as my formal first introduction to him, received a voice message, so I left my number for him to respond. He did a day later. We talked for about 20 minutes with my quizzing him about his history ... sports and otherwise. He's courteous and respectful, which shows me he has great family upbringing.

I teased him some about a girlfriend ... he sheepishly said he did. At 23, he's got a lot to look forward to with hopes that this year playing with the Manchester (New Hampshire) Monarchs of the American Hockey League will be an experience that will elevate him to the top with the Los Angeles Kings.

I told him once there, I wanted to be his agent because he's good looking enough to hit the movie screens. He said, "Yeah!!" I also asked him if he met Mike Ilitch, Detroit Red Wings owner. He said he did when he played in a training camp. I'm now thinking, "Hey Mike, how did you let this Macedonian slip away from the Red Wings camp?"

Corey gave me a sensible answer, "I felt comfortable with my decision."... Good answer ... smart kid. Look, there's always the chance of a trade down the line. It was a pleasure talking with him and throwing some of my own personal stats at him, which I think he appreciated. For sure we will stay in touch because he's a kid (really a man) that is going to hit the top. We all should want to take that journey with him.

Corey is the son of Larry and Laura Elkins of West Bloomfield, Michigan. His proud grandparents are Carl and Violet Bayoff of Detroit ... aha, the Macedonian tie in.

Corey may be the first American  Macedonian to sign a NHL contract. There have been 6 or 7 Canadian Macedonians to sign NHL contracts in the past.

Corey's stats: He finished with a teamleading 18 goals and 41 points (18 23+41) in 42 games during his recently completed senior year at THE Ohio State University.

The 6'2", 215 pound native of West Bloomfield, Michigan, also finished with 18 penalty minutes, and he shared the team lead with a plus 24 rating. He led the Buckeyes to a record of 23 5 4 and a berth in the NCAA Men's Hockey Playoff Tournament. OSU was eliminated from tournament play.

In four seasons with the Buckeyes, Corey, a three time OSU Scholar Athlete, two time Academic All Big Ten choice and 2007 Coaches Award winner for hard work and determination, recorded 60 points (27 33=60) and 40 penalty minutes in 102 career games with the Buckeyes.

How about this in closing: "Ladies and gentlemen, now starting at forward for the Los Angeles Kings, Corey Elkins."

Kommentar veröffentlichen

0 Kommentare